05 September 2009

A Day in the Life

Many people mentioned that they enjoy seeing photos... of me... in Africa. So, here is a brief "Day in the Life of Matt the PCT" of my life generally for the past four weeks:

Each morning, I wake up at 6:30, eat a breakfast usually of either white or pink porridge, bread, and instant coffee, then bike the 4 kilometers from my house to our training site. Most of this ride is downhill. Here is me on my Peace Corps standard issue Dunlop 12 speed, sporting a sleek opelescent helemet.

Language is from 8am - 12noon. My class has four members: me, Lauren, Dave, and Will. Here, our instructor is instructing us in our language hut:

After language we have tea for a well-deserved half-hour. Afterwards we have a tech session. On this particular day we were learning how to garden and compost. I can be seen dutifuly taking notes on proper dung rotation:

I even try my hand at digging our community garden:

Training is exhausting, and sometimes it's difficult to keep up with all the gossip. So, afterwards we usually get together to decompress and find out details of peoples' lives: We also play with the local kids, like this day when we got together with a current PCV and played soccer games. I played with the 3-year-olds because it best fit my age-group. Here, Sandi and Nicol stand in while I take a picture of the fun:
Finally, after a long day's work, I get to come home to my host family, usually watch a really bad Brazilian soap dubbed into English, eat my dinner, then crawl under my mosquito net and lay down to a long sleep full of mefloquin-induced dreams:



No comments: