09 October 2009

Site Announcements!

"Peace Corps is a two-year camping trip during Lent."
-MJ, our 70-year-old volunteer who already served in Malawi.

Training is quickly winding down. Last week we had the trainee talent show where volunteers performed juggling acts, a ballet routine, break dancing, and I did a short stand-up bit (what do you call a deer with no eyes? No-eyed deer). On Thursday we have our Language Proficiency Interview, which I am by no means ready for. And next Tuesday we move out of our homestays for Kampala and then to our sites.

...Which brings me to my next point -- Our sites.

Site announcements were held today, with the Assistant Peace Corps Director (APCD) announcing one-by-one where everyone in our group of 42 was going. So, where will I be spending the next two years of my life? In Kamwenge district, in the mid-west of Uganda, near Queen Elizabeth National Park. The details are a bit general, but basically I think I'll be working with a local organization that works with local groups to develop projects and programs that promote health, education, and income. They also have a radio broadcast, which I think I'll be participating in! (Since college I have wanted to try my hand in radio but never took the initiative to try it out.)

For my living situation, my two sheets of information say "No Electricity," and "Well/Spring Water." I am "5+ km to the nearest town," and will have "No Internet Access." Living in rural Africa - Am I crazy? No, after all, this is what I signed up for!

My APCD was enthusiastic about my organization and the people I will be working with. She met with them on two drop-in occasions, each for about 4 hours. The only draw back so far is that she mentioned the latrine was "getting full..." But, she reassured, Peace Corps would come dig me a new one if I needed.

Phew.

So, next week it is off to Kampala, then swearing in on Thursday!


This photo is me during my stand-up routine at the talent show. If you look closely, Zach in the red shirt is almost laughing.

3 comments:

Dick Meadows said...

I was hoping you told the one about the elephant in the cherry tree...it always gets me:) Proud of you Matt. If you ever need anything...

cvallor said...

Hi Matt - I am so glad to have found your blog. I am so jealous of your adventure and I look forward to reading about everything that happens... :)

- Cindi

Zach Mayo said...

Just for the record, I'm not laughing. That's a grimace.