12 January 2011

The Other World

When my dad contacted me at the end of November and asked if I wanted to come home for Christmas as a surprise to my family, I told him that I needed a few days to think about it. Having the opportunity to go home was an unsuspected surprise, but I really had to think whether I was mentally ready to do it. In the end I reasoned it was too good of an opportunity to pass up: not only would I be able to spend Christmas with my family and see my 16-month-old nephew for the first time, but I would also be able to attend my good friends' wedding.

Keeping my homecomming a secret was difficult. I couldn't tell any friends or make any plans to see anyone in case the secret somehow slipped. But luckily it worked; my dad was also able to get my brother to take a week off work in LA so that we could spend some good family time together.

Surprising my mom was perhaps the best part. My dad and I arranged to have her friend take her out for coffee. Once there I walked over to her table and casually asked if I could sit down. She had a blank stare on her face for at least 10 seconds and I could see her brain going through the filing cabinet, processing who I was and if I was her son, what I was doing there. Finally it clicked and she started to cry, and didn't stop for a good three days.

The Family spent a traditional Christmas at home, then went to Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast for a few days. New Years was spent at our cabin on Mt. Hood with 6" of snow - so cold for a guy who hasn't lived in weather below 68 degress for the last 16 months!

After the family time I was off for the Northlands - first to visit some friends in Seattle (lunch with Anna and Leslie - Celine you were missed!, then hanging with Karli, Erica, and Brian) - then northwards to Bellingham for three days of wedding preperations and hanging out my awesome friends.

Being back in America was a lot different than I was expecting. I fell into my old routine easier than expected, but I was stressed out at the pace of life and more socially retarded than I usually am, especially in groups larger than two. I'm now more excited to come home after Peace Corps, but the experience has given me a greater understanding and appreciation of what I'm doing now in Africa. The next ten months are going to be more productive and focused, and I'm sure will be finished before I know it.

Thank you everybody for the great time back home. I missed you more than I thought. Unfortunately I didn't have time to see or talk with everyone, so I do apologize but I'm back for good in October and we will definately catch up then.

5 comments:

Kelly Kincaid said...

Matt,

It was better than a lifetime supply of chocolate pudding to see you. I had no idea you left your arrival a secret. And when you wrote how your mom cried, a little tear drop started to form at edge of my own eye (I really shouldn't cut onions while I read blogs).

I went through your pictures like I said I would. You look happy in Africa and I could tell by seeing you again that the experience has made you even more of a profound thinker and compassionate observist. It will be wonderful to have you back in the area in October.

You always have a free ticket north (well, mostly free). Robert and I would be honored and deliriously happy (me) to have you in our home.

Kelly

Unknown said...

This made me shed a few tears.. It was so wonderful to see you! I can't wait until the next time

lots of love. Erica

PS the door is always open when you visit.

Unknown said...

This post made me shed a few tears. It was so very wonderful to see you! You are such a great friend and good vibes are all around when you are there.

I can't wait until the next time I get to see you...the door is always open here for you!

lots of love, Erica

PS - Glad you got to see your mom and your description of her reaction was priceless....

Alysha Holmquist said...

Wow, I thought I was the only one who got teary eyed at the description of you surprising your mom! Glad to see I'm not alone. :o) I could perfectly picture it!

Can't wait to see you in October. :o)

Lots of Love :o)

Lysh

Unknown said...

Matt,

It was so wonderful to have you back. I'm so happy you could be part of our wedding. It really meant a lot to me. I look forward to having you back home but wish you the best last half year!

Ganz liebe Grüße

Clover